TOP PICK & Best Overall 5-Person Rooftop Tent
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Tuff Stuff Elite Overland ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- Best High-End 5-Person Rooftop Tent: FSR High Country 80″ Premium
- Best Budget 5-Person Rooftop Tent: 23 Zero Walkabout 87
Why You Should Trust Us
We're Anja & Alex, a couple of gear geeks and outdoor enthusiasts with 10+ years of living with the outdoors. During countless road trips and adventures, we've made a million mistakes and had a lot of bad purchases. It helped us develop an eye for detail and an obsession to find the best product. This website is our try to help you avoid buying crap gear. It is founded on the principles of honest, detailed, objective, and independent camping and hiking gear reviews we would like we had when we were younger and inexperienced. Our review process starts with selection: we look at hundreds of products to determine the top contenders in each category. We then spend weeks testing it and researching the top contenders for detailed comparison testing. We don't accept any manufacturer's free evaluation units or paid endorsements. Our focus is strictly on creating content for the benefit of our readers. To learn more about us, click here.
Hi, fellow camper.
Welcome to my best 5-person rooftop tent review in 2023!
Are you ready for a great outdoor adventure with your family or whole camping crew? If so, look at 5-person rooftop tents and make your camping more priceless for everyone, considering spaciousness, comfort, and build quality.
Whether you’re planning a family camping trip, a road trip with friends, or a group expedition, one of the three 5-person rooftop tents I crafted with meticulous attention to detail will help you make a perfect choice to enhance your adventures for years to come.
Before you pick the best one, let me tell you what to consider when buying a 5-person rooftop tent.
Table of Contents
What To Consider When Buying a 5-Person Rooftop Tent?
When purchasing a 5-person rooftop tent, there are several crucial factors to consider to make the right choice for your outdoor adventure.
Here are some of them to keep in mind.
Size and Capacity
Ensure the tent comfortably accommodates five people, with enough space for sleeping, sitting, and storing gear.
Build Quality and Durability
Durable fabrics, such as ripstop polyester or canvas, robust zippers, and a sturdy internal frame will ensure you and your camping roommates stay safe and cozy.
Setup and Installation
Look for features like quick-release buckles for easy assembly accordingly. A user-friendly design will simplify the setup process and save you time and effort, allowing you to focus on enjoying your camping.
Comfort is paramount when selecting a rooftop tent. Then, choose a thick, comfortable mattress with adequate ventilation through windows, mesh panels, and additional amenities like built-in storage pockets or a seams annex room for extra space.
Compatibility and Vehicle Requirements
Ensure your tent is compatible with your vehicle’s stable roof rack and bed rack system that can safely support the tent due to the tent’s weight and the vehicle’s load capacity. Check the mounting system’s compatibility with various roof rack or cross bars configurations.
Best Overall 5-Person Rooftop Tent – Tuff Stuff “Elite” Overland Rooftop Tent & Annex Room
➤ Open dimensions: 79 x 96 x 52 inches with 90×90 inches 420D Oxford side walls
➤ Closed dimensions: 79 x 48 x 16 inches
➤ Weight: 194 Lbs
➤ Best Roof Rack mounts for Tuff Stuff “Elite” Overland Rooftop Tent: Roof Top Tent Truck Bed Rack – Tuff Stuff Overland
Since I explored rooftop tents extensively for 10+ years, the best one on the market is a 5-person Tuff Stuff Elite rooftop tent.
Speaking from personal experience, I could quickly transform my vehicle into a luxurious, cozy, and ample room for up to five people to sleep, relax, and store their gear.
With this elite tent, you’re not just purchasing a product; you’re gaining a gateway to the best camping ever. Please don’t settle for anything less than the best; investing is a great way to enjoy it.
Key Features & Benefits You Get
✅ Ample tent for large groups: If spaciousness is what you’re looking for, the Tuff Stuff Elite roof tent for up to 5 people will deliver more than you imagine. First, you will enjoy a generous sleeping area that is great for stretching out and a cozy night’s sleep. Then, if you go camping with your family, your kids will love the entire space for playing around. What’s the best? You can enjoy your stay in nature in a vast annex room with additional space to relax and unwind for all of you.
✅ Comfort and relaxing tent: Comfort is paramount when enjoying your camping, and the Tuff Stuff Elite delivers on all fronts. It implies the 3-inch high-density foam mattress that provides a cozy and supportive sleep surface after you wake up refreshed and ready for another day of adventure. The tent’s large screened windows also offer excellent ventilation to keep your space fresh.
✅ Four-season tent: The Tuff Stuff Elite rooftop tent excels in winter or summer. It’s built to withstand even the harshest weather conditions, ensuring your comfort and safety throughout the year. With its heavy-duty 280g poly/cotton ripstop fabric and polyester rain fly, this tent has got you covered. Its robust construction and superior waterproofing are a winning combination that ensures you stay dry and cozy. Rest assured; you can snuggle up, enjoy restful nights regardless of the cold outside, and stay refreshed when it’s hot.
✅ Easy setups: The Tuff Stuff Elite’s user-friendly design will make setting up camp easier than ever before. Because it has an innovative hydraulic assist system, you can fully set up your tent in minutes. It means no more struggling with complicated and detailed instructions or cumbersome poles mounted inside; the hydraulic lift system effortlessly raises the tent, while the telescoping ladder allows for quick access to your sleeping quarters. Spend less time setting up and more time immersing yourself in nature’s beauty.
✅ Additional space with annex room included: Spacious removable lower annex room with separate entry doors and separate bedding is additional space ideal for relaxing, storing your gear, or accommodating other campers. And even when there are many of you, don’t worry. You can seamlessly attach to the main tent, expanding your camping setup and allowing you to create a customized living space. Annex room zips are also easy to assemble. This gives you more flexibility outdoors.
What I Don’t Like About This Tent
❌ The tent can sometimes be too bulky and a bit demanding when you handle it in your vehicle, but mainly when traveling to other destinations or placing your vehicle on uneven terrain.
❌ While the hydraulic lift system of the Tuff Stuff Elite makes setup easier compared to other rooftop tents, it may still require some time and effort. Luckily, you can carefully get to know better with the setup process and practice beforehand to ensure a smooth and efficient setup.
❌ Once the Tuff Stuff Elite tent is set up on your vehicle, it restricts mobility, so if you frequently drive to different locations during your camping trips, you’ll need to disassemble and reassemble the tent each time, which can be time-consuming and inconvenient.
Best High-End 5-Person Rooftop Tent – FSR High Country 80″ Premium
➤ Premium Dimensions: 80 “L X 98 “W X 50 “H
➤ Exterior Closed Dimensions: 85 “L X 52 “W X 14 “H
➤ Weight: 182 lbs
➤ Best Roof Rack for FSR High Country 80″ Rooftop Tent: Hard Shell Series – Crossbar Kits – Freespirit Recreation.
Imagine a space where you can embrace the beauty of nature while still enjoying the comforts of home. That thought becomes a reality with the FSR High Country 80″ Premium.
What truly sets this tent apart is its luxurious features. Step inside, and you’ll be greeted by a spacious interior meticulously designed to make you feel at home.
Key Features & Benefits You Get
✅ Large mattress with built-in 1.5-inch high-density foam: The FSR High Country 80 is super comfortable, so you won’t have trouble sleeping at night. Unfold it lightly to reinforce your base camp and enjoy your cozy oasis of peace high above the ground. Nothing is better than a soft, comfortable mattress on which you will never sleep more peacefully.
✅ Spaciousness: The fold-out design and smallest footprint at 80″ x 49″ closed makes it spacious and comfortable for everyone and maintains a small enough footprint to fit most trucks or SUVs. Every inch it takes up on the rack returns double the sleep space to you. A cleverly engineered layout that includes multiple sleeping compartments, storage pockets, and even a vestibule area contributes to the tent’s overall spaciousness, ensuring everyone can move freely and conveniently store their belongings.
✅ Easy setups: This tent will enable you to camp from arrival to an entire set-up campsite in under a minute. You can skip the tedious tasks of piecing together various components as it is mainly pre-assembled. Unlatch the tent, unfold it, and secure it on the vehicle. Its durable straps and buckles make it easy to secure and adjust the tent to your desired level of stability.
✅ 360-degree view: Unlike other fold-outs on the market, our High Country 80” features 360 degrees of views to immerse your camping in the natural landscape. The wide windows help you get the most out of your rooftop views.
✅ Built-In Skylight: What’s the first thing you see when you wake up in the summer? Well, it’s the most beautiful natural light. So, let the sunshine in with the clear skylight built into the awning, allowing all that natural light enters the tent.
✅ Weatherproofing: High Country 80″ comes with a premium rainfly that protects you from the elements and keeps the water from entering your tent. Thanks to extreme weather tri-layer technology, you will be completely safe, engineered to hold heat in extremely cold weather and blow the warm air out on a hot summer night.
✅ Integrated Night Light: Light the night with the USB-powered ultra-bright LED light strip. You no longer have to fumble around in the dark or rely on flashlights or lanterns as the USB-powered LED light strip emits a powerful and bright light that illuminates the tent’s interior, creating a pleasant environment in the evening around the campfire.
✅ Premium build quality: The tent’s rugged construction, utilizing 600D ripstop polyester fabric and robust zippers, ensures long-lasting performance in various weather conditions. The sturdy aluminum frame adds strength and stability to the tent allowing you to feel secure and protected during your camping adventures.
✅ The included annex and the rest of the tent make two separate spaces for a pleasant natural stay. The tent’s compatibility with most roof racks makes it suitable for various vehicles, offering flexibility and convenience for different travel setups. You can use the annex as a changing room to maintain privacy while getting dressed, preparing for outdoor activities, or as additional sleeping quarters.
What I Don’t Like About This Tent
❌ As a premium product, the FSR High Country 80 has a higher price tag. But, when you experience its exceptional build quality and the comfort it offers, the investment proves to be genuinely worthwhile.
❌ Generous size and robust construction of the FSR High Country 80 may present challenges during tent installation hardware and transportation. Just ensure enough storage space, and you will be fine.
Best Budget 5-Person Rooftop Tent – 23 Zero Walkabout 87
➤ Size when closed: 87 inches (W) X 48 inches (L) X 14 inches (H)
➤ Size when open: 87 inches (H) X 122 inches (L) X 49 inches (H)
➤ Sleeping space: 87” x 96”
➤ Weight: 198 lb
➤ Best Roof Rack for 23 Zero Walkabout 87 Rooftop Tent: SightLine System – Yakima
I put the great-rated 23zero Walkabout™ 2.0 87″ Softshell 5-person rooftop tent series in third place as its incredible features, such as light suppression technology and ECO green fabric, stand out.
Besides, it is designed to deliver outstanding comfort, convenience, and durability at an affordable price, for which you get everything you need for excellent camping.
Key Features & Benefits You Get
✅ Roomy for a crew of five: It’s perfect for traveling with the whole tribe, as you comfortably sleep on the 87-inch bed. The spacious interior is decorated with huge windows and a convenient entrance that is so practical that you will enjoy it all year round.
✅ Ecological effect: The ECO13B fabric produces less harmful environmental impact and promotes a constant ecological effect. Worthy of attention of this product is the incredible effort to achieve energy savings and lower use of oil because it is produced from recycled PET bottles. More precisely, 13 PET bottles are used in one square meter of fabric. And you get quality 23ZERO outdoor gear that is durable and cozy.
✅ Light suppression technology: No longer have to be awake early in the morning, sweating from the sun hitting your tent for hours because the LST fabric keeps the inside of the tent pitch black, even on the brightest mornings or hottest afternoons, and reduces the summer temperature by 20%. After a long day in nature, you will sleep peacefully and be refreshed and ready for the next adventure. Moreover, great Skyview panels allow you to control the light that comes in and stargaze at night.
✅ Maximum sleeping comfort: This tent truly shines when it comes to comfort. For a comfortable night’s sleep, a 3″ Thick Sleep Comfort Rebound Mattress with a cotton top and waterproof base will be your favorite after a whole day of camping activities.
✅ Exceptional 4-season functionality: You will enjoy the four-season tent and its comfort as it withstands various weather conditions. If winter gets colder, there are optional winter insulations for further enhanced thermal insulation after you can feel double cozy.
✅ Exceptional build quality: This tent boasts outstanding durability with its rugged 280gsm ripstop canvas fabric that offers excellent resistance against wear and tear, ensuring longevity even in the harshest weather conditions.
✅ Quick and easy setup: The standout feature of the 23zero Walkabout™ 2.0 87″ Softshell Rooftop Tent Series is its effortless setup. In a matter of minutes, you will be ready to set it up thanks to the gas strut-assisted mechanism and tent mounts, and enjoy your adventure much sooner.
✅ Versatile design: The built-in Annex creates outdoor storage and extra space for changing clothes or storing gear, providing additional convenience for extended trips. Additionally, the tent’s compatibility with various vehicle roof rack systems ensures complete installation, making it suitable for any vehicle.
✅ Additional features such as washable cover pull, mounting rails, provided mounting brackets, removable split wall, tents railing, bed rack, and tent storage hammock do the extra jobs that will help you camp efficiently.
What I Don’t Like About This Tent
❌ Due to its spacious design, this tent may be bulkier and heavier than smaller rooftop tents. While it may pose a slight challenge during installation and transportation, the added space and comfort benefits outweigh this minor drawback.
❌ Annex and accessories shown are optional extras and not included with these top tents.
What is the difference between roof racks and crossbars?
The roof rack refers to the complete system that encompasses all the components necessary for carrying cargo on the roof of a vehicle. Crossbars, on the other hand, are the specific bars within the roof rack system that create a foundation for attaching accessories and distributing the weight of the load across the roof. Crossbars are integral to the roof rack, allowing versatile attachment options based on the user’s needs.
Is it a good idea to have a rooftop tent?
A rooftop tent can be a great idea, depending on your specific needs and preferences. Here are some factors to consider when deciding if a rooftop tent is right for you:
1. Camping Style: Rooftop tents are popular among outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy camping in remote or off-road locations. If you prefer to explore off-the-beaten-path destinations or enjoy camping in areas where the ground might not suit a traditional tent, a rooftop tent can be a practical choice.
2. Convenience: Rooftop tents offer convenience in setup and packing up. They can be quickly deployed and packed away, saving time and effort compared to setting up a ground tent. This is especially useful if you’re frequently on the move or prefer to camp in different locations during your trip.
3. Space and Comfort: RTTs generally provide a comfortable sleeping area, often with built-in mattresses. They offer elevated views, protection from ground-level moisture, and insulation from cold or uneven ground. It can be a good option if you prioritize comfort and want a cozy sleeping space.
4. Vehicle Compatibility: Consider whether your vehicle is compatible with a rooftop tent. You’ll need a sturdy roof rack or bars to support the tent’s weight. Additionally, you should ensure that your vehicle’s height and weight limits allow for the installation of a rooftop tent.
5. Budget: Rooftop tents can be more expensive than traditional ground tents, so it’s essential to consider your budget. In addition to the tent, you may need to invest in a roof rack or bars if your vehicle doesn’t already have them—factor in these costs when determining if a rooftop tent is financially feasible.
6. Usage Frequency: A rooftop tent can be a worthwhile investment if you’re an avid camper and plan to use your tent frequently. However, suppose you only go camping occasionally or for a short duration. In that case, you may find that a traditional tent meets your needs without the added cost and setup associated with a rooftop tent.
Choosing a rooftop tent depends on your camping style, preferences, budget, and planned adventures. Consider these factors and weigh the pros and cons to determine if a rooftop tent aligns with your requirements.
Do rooftop tents use more fuel?
Rooftop tents can affect fuel efficiency due to their impact on the vehicle’s aerodynamics. When a rooftop tent is installed, it creates additional wind resistance, which can result in increased fuel consumption.
The specific impact on fuel consumption can vary depending on various factors, including the tent’s design, the vehicle’s shape, driving speed, and weather conditions. Generally, the higher the tent is mounted on the roof, the larger its size and the greater the effect on aerodynamics and fuel efficiency.
The additional drag caused by a rooftop tent may lead to a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, especially at higher speeds or during highway driving. The actual increase in fuel consumption can vary between vehicles and may range from negligible to noticeable, depending on the factors above.
If fuel efficiency is a significant concern for you, it’s advisable to consider the aerodynamic design of the rooftop tent you intend to purchase. Some manufacturers offer models specifically designed to minimize wind resistance and reduce the impact on fuel consumption.
Additionally, maintaining moderate speeds and avoiding excessive wind exposure can help mitigate the effect on fuel efficiency.
It’s worth noting that the impact of a rooftop tent on fuel consumption is typically relatively small compared to other factors that affect fuel efficiency, such as driving style, tire pressure, and vehicle weight. Therefore, while rooftop tents may cause a slight increase in fuel consumption, it is generally not a significant factor for most users.
What are the disadvantages of a rooftop tent?
1. Vehicle Limitations: Rooftop tents require a vehicle with a roof rack or bars capable of supporting their weight. If your car does not have a suitable roof structure or weight capacity, you may need to invest in additional modifications or a different vehicle altogether. This can add to the overall cost and limit your options.
2. Increased Vehicle Height and Weight: Installing an RTT raises your overall height and weight. This can make it more challenging to navigate low-clearance areas, such as parking garages, drive-throughs, and branches on narrow trails. It’s essential to be mindful of these limitations and plan your routes accordingly.
3. Aerodynamic Impact: As mentioned earlier, rooftop tents can negatively affect the aerodynamics of your vehicle. The additional wind resistance can lead to decreased fuel efficiency and increased driving noise. It’s important to consider the potential impact on your vehicle’s performance and fuel consumption, especially during long trips.
4. Setup and Accessibility: While rooftop tents are generally easier and quicker to set up than traditional ground tents, they still require some effort to deploy and pack away. You will need to climb up and down the vehicle to access the tent, which can be inconvenient, particularly if you have physical limitations or are camping in inclement weather conditions.
5. Limited Living Space: Rooftop tents typically provide a comfortable sleeping area but have limited living space compared to larger ground tents or camper trailers. You may find the confined space restrictive if you plan to spend significant time inside the tent during your camping trips.
6. Cost: Rooftop tents are more expensive than traditional ground tents. In addition to the tent, you may need to invest in a roof rack or bars if your vehicle doesn’t already have them. The overall cost can be a significant factor, especially if you are on a tight budget.
It’s essential to weigh these disadvantages against the benefits and your specific needs to make an informed decision. Consider your camping style, vehicle suitability, budget, and the trade-offs you will make before purchasing a rooftop tent.
Are rooftop tents warm in winter?
Rooftop tents can provide adequate warmth in winter but require additional considerations to ensure comfort in cold weather conditions. Here are a few factors to keep in mind:
1. Insulation: The insulation properties of an RTT play a crucial role in keeping it warm during winter. High-quality rooftop tents often feature insulation materials or layers for better heat retention. Look for tents with adequate insulation to help trap warmth inside the tent and keep cold air out.
2. Condensation: It can be a concern in colder temperatures, especially when warm air from inside the tent meets the hard surfaces of the tent fabric. To minimize condensation, ensure proper ventilation within the tent. Many rooftop tents have windows, vents, or mesh panels that can be opened or adjusted to allow for airflow while maintaining warmth.
3. Mattress and Bedding: The mattress in your RTT can influence how warm you feel during winter camping. Consider using a thicker or insulated sleeping pad or mattress to provide additional insulation from the cold ground. To retain body heat, use appropriate bedding, such as a cold-weather sleeping bag, blankets, or thermal liners.
4. Layering: Layering your clothing and using appropriate sleepwear is essential for staying warm inside the tent. Wear thermal or moisture-wicking base layers, insulating mid-layers, and a warm outer layer. Wear hats, gloves, and warm socks to retain body heat.
5. Heating Solutions: Inicyd conditions, you may consider additional heating solutions to supplement the tent’s warmth. Portable heaters designed for camping can help maintain a comfortable temperature inside the tent. However, ensure that any heating device is safe and suitable inside an enclosed space.
6. Location and Weather: The location and weather conditions during your winter camping trip will also impact the warmth of your rooftop tent. Camp in areas with natural windbreaks, such as trees or hills, to minimize exposure to cold winds. Monitor weather forecasts and be prepared for changes in temperature and precipitation.
Remember that while rooftop tents can offer warmth in winter, they may not provide the same level of insulation as a well-insulated building or camper trailer. It’s essential to be prepared and make appropriate adjustments to ensure comfort and safety in cold weather.
The three top-notch 5-person rooftop tents I single out in this review have won the game of the best rooftop tents in the category for five people.
First, the Tuff Stuff Elite rooftop tent has the best rating based on the comfort, design, and build quality that all of you will enjoy to the maximum.
Second, FSR High Country Series Premium 80″ rooftop tent stands out for its immersive views, easy setups, and spaciousness.
Third, 23zero Walkabout™ 2.0 87″ Softshell 5-person rooftop tent with its ECO effect draws attention to preserving the environment, which is such a plus that you will not remain indifferent.
So, gear up, set up camp, check out my article on 99+ road trip essentials to ensure you don’t forget anything for your overland adventure, and get ready to experience the comfort and convenience of these best 5-person rooftop tents.